I hope after five months of consistent blogging you don’t think me daft, or that I rant on about these lessons that I am myself learning to your boredom,,, I just hope that some little ounce of my sharing might touch somebody out there or maybe just me lol. Hello…..echo lol
Anyway so a very prominent factor in my life’s journey at the moment is the matter of Stewardship .
What does it truly mean to be a good Steward of God’s blessings in your life? From the beginning of the Earth God created all things and caused them to produce “according to their kind” He created man and ordained him to be a steward of all of His possessions. Genesis 1:28 “And God blessed them [granting them certain authority] and said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, and subjugate it [putting it under your power]; and rule over (dominate) the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and every living thing that moves upon the earth.”
The passage I find myself gravitating towards most frequently when it truly made sense to me is the biblical Parable of the talents in Mathew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28
13 Therefore, be on the alert [be prepared and ready], for you do not know the day nor the hour [when the Son of Man will come].
Parable of the Talents
14 “For it is just like a man who was about to take a journey, and he called his servants together and entrusted them with his possessions.15 To one he gave five [a]talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and then he went on his journey.16 The one who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he [made a profit and] gained five more. 17 Likewise the one who had two [made a profit and] gained two more. 18 But the one who had received the one went and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
God gives us according to our ability I believe that this is a clue for seasons in our life where we just can’t seem to get over particular hurdles. God will only give us that which we can handle if we are not trusting him to improve our ability then how can we expect to be trusted with more in whatever aspect of life. Please don’t take this as a rule and think that if we go out and show great ability we will somehow get more that’s not how it works there’s much more to it.
Similarly in Luke 19:12-28 Amplified Bible (AMP)
12 So He said, “A nobleman went to a distant country to obtain for himself a kingdom, and [then] to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants, and gave them ten minas [one apiece, each equal to about a hundred days’ wages] and said to them, ‘Do business [with this] until I return.’
The nobleman gives to ten servants equal amounts and expects them to do good with it until he returns. So it is with what we are given in our lives we much do good business with it till our master returns and we do not know when that is for each of us life is shorter than we think. In this parable when the noble man returns and finds that some of the servants have multiplied the wages he has this to say “The first one came before him and said, ‘Lord, your mina has made ten more minas.’ 17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant! Because you proved yourself faithful and trustworthy in a very little thing, you shall[now] have authority over ten cities [in my kingdom].”
But to the servant that did nothing with what he was given was regarded as a useless servant. Then another came and said, ‘Lord, here is your mina, which I have kept laid up in a handkerchief [for safekeeping]. 21 I was [always] afraid of you, because you are a stern man; you pick up what you did not lay down and you reap what you did not sow.’ 22 He said to the servant, ‘I will judge and condemn you by your own words, you worthless servant!
It also shows that to those who don’t properly use what was given to them will have it taken away from them and those who are good stewards receive more having proved themselves faithful and trustworthy.
25I tell you that to everyone who has [because he valued his gifts from God and has used them wisely], more will be given; but from the one who does not have [because he disregarded his gifts from God],even what he has will be taken away.’
So at this stage I’ve come to some conclusions about what it means to be a great steward understanding that every perfect gift comes from God:
- Trust God to Improve your ability
- Show yourself disciplined
- Make much of what he gives
- Prove yourself faithful and trustworthy
- Proclaim God as King.
So in my life what does a good Steward look like/ what are the areas I hope to show good Stewardship? Here’s my (in no particular order and potentially incomplete) list:
- Discipleship: It is the great commission! We who were called were meant to proclaim the good news and to be fishers for others, sharing the reason for our great Joy, our salvation!! The gospel!!
- My body: We only get one body and mine I hope to keep fit, as much as I know we aren’t in control of diseases like cancer or viruses I will eat a healthy diet and I will exercise regularly I will not be “Letting myself go” burying my talent of body in the sand. I will also not self-diagnose and be proactive about getting regular check-ups for medical and dental care.
- Finances: I may not be rich or have a mina ( 100 days of Salary) but I will be astute with the management of my finances and increase my knowledge in this area so I can make good investments that would benefit not only me but generations I might leave behind. I have started following Dave Ramsey among others and I am pursuing financial peace “Live like no one else now so later you can live and give like no one else”
- Home environment: I may be living at my parent’s home but it is still mine and it is therefore my responsibility to ensure that I am doing all I can to make it a better place. I admit sometimes I leave the dishes in the sink but I endeavor to do better.I will create a schedule for regular home cleanliness and initiate work for necessary repairs and general upkeep. God has given me a shelter to stay in and with great thankfulness It is my duty to contribute to it come what may.
- My relationship Quality ( Friendship/Courtship) : I will devote my attention not to gaining more friends or entering a marriage but rather I will focus on being a good friend and developing more qualities to make me a great spouse when that fine day comes. I will also aim to know more about the friends and family I already have and not be a superficial acquaintance.
- Sharing my gifts: God has made me to have a great deal of empathy, I’m also good at remembering details I will use my gifts some of which I have not yet discovered to be there for others as an encourager and supporter when needed most.
- Work Life: God has given me a job for this season: I will do all that I can to make the most of it right now and have a positive impact. I will complete every task to the best of my ability and not be complacent or take this blessing for granted. I will also pursue God-given vision to its fruition or die trying.
- Fruits: I will multiply my fruit..When we believe and trust God he gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit which comes with the fruit these are love: love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. I will show these gifts in my life abundant.
- Time Management: God has given me such a time as this I must not waste it and aim to be disciplined with my time.
- Thoughts: I also want to multiply my thoughts on whatsoever is of good report, pure, lovely worthy; God has given me a brain I will use it for dwelling on more great things and creating!!
More:To find out more areas that require focused attention and see what God is calling me to do with them, all for his Glory.
Be a good Steward with Milly